Our fellowship program in Minimally Invasive Surgery is one of the first fellowships of its kind in the country, and is the longest-running of the four programs in the UT Health/MIST Fellowship Consortium.
The Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship at HCA Houston Healthcare Northwest immerses fellows in bariatrics, anti-reflux procedures, and complex endoscopy, in addition to a broad general surgery experience with an emphasis on utilizing minimally invasive techniques to provide optimal patient outcomes. Rotations are available to also integrate robotics training and other perspectives at the other facilities in the UT Health/MIST Fellowship Consortium.
Until 2022, the Advanced GI/MIS fellowship based at HCA Houston Healthcare Northwest was affiliated with the Fellowship Council. However, due to increasing restrictions on academic activities, higher fees, and fewer opportunities for grant funding, we have elected to separate from the council. Our fellowship program remains fully funded annually for the salary and benefits of two one-year fellowship positions, beginning August 1st each year. Fellows hold a Clinical Faculty position at UTHealth, and have full admitting physician privileges at HCA Healthcare Northwest.
Requirements for application:(1) US Citizenship, (2) Three letters of recommendation from surgery faculty, (3) Passing scores of USMLE 1, 2, & 3, (4) ABS/ABOS Certification or Eligibility, (5) Personal statement, (6) Current CV, (7) Residency or professional case logs. To be considered for this position, please submit this material to our Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our 2021-2022 fellows are Dr. Jessica Mormando and Dr. Gregory Vereb.
- 2020-2021 Dr. Jacqueline Stephenson, DO
- 2019-2020 Dr. Ashleigh Hagaman and Dr. Ngan Nguyen
- 2018-2019 Kalyan Gorantla & Nancy Panko
- 2017-2018 Melanie Boyle and William Buitrago
- 2016-2017 Ping Jeanne Pan & Seeyuen Jane Lee
- 2015-2016 Thomas Wang
- 2014-2015 Nicholai Stephens & Luis Rodriguez-Escola
- 2013-2014 Sarah Lippert & Romeo Lainez
- 2011-2012 Benjamin DuBois & Rachel Reeder
- 2010-2011 Khoi Du & Heather Vasser
- 2009-2010 Sherrie Parker & Clayton Hackerman
- 2008-2009 Luis Bonilla & Obos Ekhaese
- 2007-2008 Leigh Montes & Alex Nguyen
- 2006-2007 Aleksandr Reznichenko
- 2005-2006 Guillermo Garcia & Grace Kim
- 2004-2005 Michael Bozuk & Nicole Fearing
- 2003-2004 Robert J. Chastanet & Michael V. Seger
- 2002-2003 Darren B. Miter
- 2001-2002 Erik B. Wilson
- 2000-2001 Hesham M. Atwa
- 1999-2000 Charles Bissell